Sunday, December 7, 2008

Stories in the Community: Nate


Who: Nate Piturachsatit

Occupation: 6th grade teacher

Years in community: 20 years

Education: Lake Roosevelt 1996, Whitworth College 2001

Favorite community memory:
I'm going to go with a more recent memory, the Grand Columbian Triathlon. What a cool event to have here in the Coulee, and it was great to see all the people from the area help out to make it possible. There were so many world class athletes here and watching them compete was unbelievable. I hope this is something this community has the chance to be apart of for a while.

Hopes for the community:
...that there would be a greater sense of pride in this community. After living here over a year I have seen so many good things happening, and yet there seems to be this negativity that permeates through all the positives in this community; it destroys the possibilities this place has. There are so many good things happening in this area. We need to move ourselves toward those postive conversations and stay away from the negative.

Why I am a part of this project:
...to give back. As a youth I was always asking myself, "What can this area do for me?" I was selfish. Nothing of value comes about when we are always looking to take from someone or something else. Now I'm asking myself, "What can I do to help make this place better for me and for everyone else?" It's a paradigm shift for me that took some time to complete, but now I know I'm on the right track. There is potential in everyone, and I would like to help bring that out.

HORIZONS: Community Leaders Reducing Poverty
Working together to move from poverty to prosperity for all.

No comments: