Sunday, December 7, 2008

Stories in the Community: Jesse


Who: Jesse Utz

Occupation: Fire Fighter, Business Owner, “Voice of the Raiders.”

Years in Community: 35 years

Education: Lake Roosevelt High School, 1992

Favorite community memory:
When I was a kid, Colorama was a big deal. We wanted to do it all. The Carnival was at on the Middle School Field and seemed a lot bigger than what we have now. The Flea market was on the street in front of the Coulee Dam Post Office and had lots of options, but I can remember always being drawn to the booth that had kid stuff and gag gifts. There was also a beer tent, a street dance, an art show, the rodeo, and a soap box derby. But I remember the parade most of all; it was huge. It seemed like a full two hours with marching bands and floats from every town around our area. It was fun for all, and it seemed that everyone was having fun.

Hopes for community:
That someday soon, that all our leaders and members will unite. We have the potential here to set the bar high and achieve whatever we set our minds to. There are families living among us that struggle on a day to day basis, and we need to help them with a loving hand and teach them how to sustain themselves in our community. We need to love one another no matter the race, sex, or status. We need to promote business, which in turn will provide jobs, stimulate the economy, and attract newcomers. We need to accept change and learn that in this day we can make a difference. We can thrive and be contributors to a healthy, strong community of families, workers, seniors, and youth. We can give hope to all that choose to live in or visit our community. We can no longer ignore the problems in our area; we must work together as a team to accomplish a lighthouse community to be seen by all, to all feel safe, and to cultivate all our dreams to succeed.

Why I am part of the project:
I want to give back, or “Pay it Forward”. I came from a low income family with alcohol and drug problems. I thought when I was a kid that I was destined for the same, and I lived that way for years. But there were people out there that saw potential for me even when I did not. Every youth in our community needs to have hope and dreams that are positive ones; and we need to help them cultivate those dreams. I want to help them do this. But not just Youth, I want help everyone that needs a step or push in the right direction. From poverty to drug addiction, from unemployment to education, from business to our schools, from racism to our seniors. We need to help those in need and I feel this project will do that.


HORIZONS: Community Leaders Reducing Poverty
Working together to move from poverty to prosperity for all.

No comments: