Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stories in the Community: Lisa




Who
: Lisa Carson

Occupation: Stay-at-home mom with two girls.

Years in Community: eight-ish. I moved here after I graduated from high school in Neah Bay Washington. I grew up on different Indian reservations with my dad working for the Indian Health Services. My mom's roots are here on the Colville reservation (mine too) and I wanted to return here to learn more about my culture and to be with my family. I am now married to a Colville tribal member, and we have decided to raise our daughters here.

Education: High school-year 2000. AA&S from Big Bend Community College, Some training from SEU FL.

Favorite community memory: When I first moved here I was involved with a group from Nespelem that was called the HOPE group which meant Helping Our People Elevate. We held a few Fun-Nights for the kids up in Nespelem, and I remember one of those times when we met at the Nespelem Community Center. It was a great turn out and the whole gym was packed with kids running all over the place. There was so much going on that I didn't quite know where to jump in. All I remember is seeing a couple hula-hoops laying around, and the next thing I remember is cheering a bunch of kids on as we competed in the ultimate hula-hooping tournament! It was pretty amazing and I never laughed so much in my whole life; those kids are awesome! That whole evening was awesome. It's a great memory.

Also another great memory: Spring Canyon! Honestly, what beats that? Spring Canyon is such a great place to go in the summer. It is always packed with tons of families, food, and fun ~ the recipe for greatness!

Hopes for community: I would hope that our community from Nespelem to Electric City would be a place where every family could thrive.

Why I am part of the project: I want to be a part of helping this community reach its potential. This is a great place to live, but I would like to see more community activities for the kids in school, and also for the young adults all the way up to the elders in the community. I'm hoping that this program can help bring in a community center that would be welcoming for everyone here, and I envision seeing people from all ages, all backgrounds and all walks of life intermingling there and sharing life together.


HORIZONS: Community Leaders Reducing Poverty
Working together to move from poverty to prosperity for all.

No comments: